- Issue Time
In this article, Fortech shared the precautions for using and storing Freon refrigerant, hoping to help everyone and effectively avoid the safety accident of Freon leakage during use.
Freon is a commonly used high, medium, and low-temperature refrigerant. It is colorless, odorless, non-flammable, non-explosive, stable in chemical properties, and basically non-toxic. Freon can adapt to the requirements of different refrigeration temperatures, and the lowest evaporating temperature that can be obtained is -120°C.
Freon can dissolve lubricating oil to varying degrees, is not easy to form an oil film in the system, and has little effect on heat transfer. At the same time, the design of the Freon refrigeration unit also takes into account the replacement of working fluids, that is, when using new working fluids, there is no need to modify the system. Freon refrigerant is a series of azeotropic mixtures of saturated hydrocarbons, chlorine, and bromine.
Common Freon include R11, R22, R507, R134a, R404A, etc. Among them, R134A and R404A are environmentally friendly refrigerants that do not damage the atmospheric ozone layer.
After understanding the basic information of these freon, we need to clarify the dangers of freon leakage and the precautions during use in order to prevent some safety accidents.
The hazard of leakage
If the Freon gas leaks out, it will replace the oxygen in the air, and most of its gas will stay in low and poorly ventilated places, causing severe oxygen deficiency in people in this environment. When freon meets an open flame and under the simultaneous action of water vapor, it can quickly decompose to produce phosgene, nitrofluoric acid, hydrochloric acid, chlorine, carbon monoxide, and other toxic and harmful gases.
Freon itself is non-toxic, but when it is mixed with air to a certain concentration, things have also occurred that can cause suffocation, death, or serious injury.
Precautions for use and storage
1. The refrigerant is a low-pressure liquefied gas, and the container containing the refrigerant belongs to the second-class pressure container. If the filling, management, and use are improper, accidents are extremely prone to occur. Therefore, when filling, transporting, storing, and using Freon, the relevant regulations must be followed.
2. Cylinders containing Freon refrigerant must be inspected to ensure that they can withstand the specified pressure. Containers that are defective in appearance, cannot be guaranteed to be safe or exceed the inspection period, are not allowed to be filled. When charging refrigerant, it is not allowed to exceed the safe charging capacity.
3. During transportation and storage, steel cylinders containing refrigerants should be protected from direct sunlight and exposure, and should not be close to heat sources.
4. The control valve on the steel cylinder is usually protected by a cap or iron cover. After use, the removed cap or iron cover must be reinstalled to prevent damage due to impact during transportation.
5. When the valve of the steel cylinder is frozen, it is strictly forbidden to use fire to bake, but should be moved to a warmer place or use warm water to thaw.
6. When the refrigerant in the cylinder is used up, the control valve should be closed immediately.
7. Freon refrigerant should avoid touching the skin, let alone the eyes.
8. It is found that there is a large leakage of Freon refrigerant, the doors and windows must be opened, otherwise, it will cause suffocation.
In addition to the use and storage, we must pay more attention to the quality of Freon refrigerant and whether the merchant has relevant certification when choosing Freon refrigerant. If you want to know more about refrigerants after reading the above, you can get a comprehensive solution by contacting us.
FOTECH is a professional manufacturer of refrigerants and fluoropolymers. Our refrigerant gases have outstanding performance in household, industrial and commercial refrigerant systems. Our products have passed various safety certifications, and the quality of the products has also been fully controlled. At the same time, we put the needs of customers first and can provide customers with thoughtful one-stop service. If you are interested in our refrigerants, please contact us immediately!